Escape the daily grind with a trip to the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center. Located on the western edge of Memorial Park, the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center offers a much needed respite where you can experience the natural world.
Adults and children, alike, will enjoy the Discovery Room (Open Tuesday-Sunday, 10 am – 4 pm), which includes: aquariums, microscopes, Nature Shop, and interactive exhibits like the 15-foot model “Learning Tree.”
Hike along the more than five miles of lush nature trails. Take in the soothing scents of more than 20 different species of nature’s flora, while strolling under the cooling canopy of trees. Excite the senses in any of the beautiful gardens and trails.
Check Out These Can’t Miss Gardens & Trails at the Houston Arboretum and Nature Center
- Palmetto Multi-sensory Trail is designed for the visually-impaired; it’s 1/3 of a mile long.
- Alice Brown/Raven Overlook is wheelchair and stroller-friendly.
- Carol Tatkon Sensory Garden invites you to smell and touch an array of beautiful flora and wildlife.
- The Outer Loop is approximately two miles long, and is well-shaded and ideal for longer hikes.
- Meadow Pond & Observation Deck is only an acre, and invites the Gulf Coast Prairie habitat to be explored.
- Charlotte Couch Birding Platform overlooks Buffalo Bayou and provides a habitat for raparians.
Additionally, there are interactive exhibits, puzzles, games, discovery boxes, and fun seasonal activities. There’s usually a naturalist, on-site, to answer all of your nature-inspired questions.
Spot the occasional alligator, snakes, an armadillo, a snapping or box turtle, cardinals, hummingbirds, pelicans and even flying fish. You will quickly forget that you’re still in Houston. Just don’t pass on the free insect repellant, inside the lobby.
The 155-acres nature sanctuary is just four miles west of downtown Houston, and is:
- Open daily, from 7 am until dusk
- Free admission and parking
- Building: open daily 9 am – 5 pm, except major holidays
Your escape beckons!
A little about Quality RV Resorts
Since 1992 our luxury RV resorts offer an array of amenities that will make your stay one of the most enjoyable you’ve ever had. From park-wide Wi-Fi and computer centers, to sparkling pools and modern workout facilities, you’ll love the special touches we have in store for you. Book your stay today!